Having bad credit these days is a very common thing, especially for young people. If you fall into the student loans for people with bad credit category, there are some different ways that you can acquire student loans. However, you must understand that the paths shared below may create more resistance for you than if you had stellar credit. Mentally preparing for the resistance and focusing more on how bad you want success will make the journey well worth it in the end.
First, we must define what is considered bad credit in the student loan world. Bad credit is having a credit score below 550.
In most cases of acquiring student loans, if the borrower has bead credit, then the borrower may have to find someone to cosign the loan. If the borrower’s credit score is average, the best way to find out if they will get approved is to go ahead and apply the first time as a single borrower. The worst that could happen is the lender will deny the application.
There have been many instances where the borrower was really close to the minimum credit score and was approved for the loan. These lenders know that the borrowers are trying to better themselves by getting education and are sometimes more lenient.
If the lender denies the application, the borrower must now consider their options:
· Find a credit worthy person to cosign for the loan
· Find the money some other way, by working or maybe a personal loan from a family member
· Give up on the education (Never give up, even if you have to pay for one class at a time)
A person determined to go to school will start with the first choice above and work through all of them until they accomplish their goals.
Finding a credit worthy person to cosign for you if you are a person with bad credit looking for a student loan may be the most difficult thing a borrower ever does. Here are some steps that will raise the chances for success.
· Take some time and write down what your education path will be and your goals. Be really passionate about this task and put lots of thought into it as you will have to convey this to all the potential cosigners.
· Make a list of as many credit worthy people that you can think of that knows you or your family personally.
· Go to each and every person on the list and sit down and explain your story (the first step) to them. This is where passion will really help, because the more passionate you are, the better your chances of getting the cosigner.
· Go all the way through the list until you find someone. If you reach the end of the list start over at the top and visit each person again and ask them again.
Understand that the only way you can fail at this is if you give up. Celebrate your victories and keep the people on your list updated on your progress. If you let them in on your struggle and your determination, they may agree to help you out later.
Student loans for people with bad credit will definitely come with a price. The price you pay will allow you to grow in so many ways that it will be absolutely worth it.
Source by Tony Abreu